TIERS Public Engagement Training
- Date: Thursday and Friday, November 18-19, 2021
- Location: Virtual via Zoom
- Time: 10am-3pm
- Cost: $600 per person
- Registration Deadline: Friday, November 5
- Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you getting the results you want from your public engagement efforts?
Would you like to connect with other local government agencies tackling similar challenges?
You are invited to join the ranks of California local government staff and elected officials trained in TIERS Public Engagement Framework. The two-day TIERS training offered by the Institute for Local Government gives you a step-by-step framework that helps California local governments master the public engagement process and build trust in their communities. TIERS trainings will help you operationalize your outreach and engagement efforts in a more sustainable and collaborative way and provide you with resources and digital tools to authentically engage your community.
This comprehensive training is open to any local government agency in California and can apply to a variety of ongoing public engagement initiatives ranging from housing and climate change to budgeting and public safety.
TIERS Public Engagement Training Benefits
- Learn the TIERS public engagement framework and gain practical tools you can use to effectively engage residents.
- Receive a copy of the TIERS Digital Workbook.
- Reframe your public engagement from a necessary burden to a beneficial, productive and positive process.
- Learn tactics and tools to respond to diverse viewpoints and navigate contentious stakeholders.
- Connect with other California local governments to share public engagement experiences, challenges and successes.
- Join the TIERS peer learning community through ongoing virtual meet-ups and email listserv.
- Gain access to ILG “Office Hours” to receive technical assistance to tackle your public engagement challenges.
“The TIERS training was incredibly enlightening and engaging. ILG’s training team not only shared examples of how to design high-energy, productive and dialogue-focused public workshops but demonstrated meeting design techniques in action.”
– David Loya, Community Development Director, City of Arcata
“In addition to the TIERS structure to plan and implement authentic engagement and outreach efforts, we learned a number of public participation tools and techniques to engage those who traditionally don’t participate. Thank you, ILG team.”
– Heidi Vonblum, Deputy Director of the Planning Department, City of San Diego
“The TIERS training was incredibly motivating for our team and we were able to immediately put what we learned about the TIERS process to work on our current projects. We left with best practices and a clear process we can follow.”
– Jose Gurrola, Former Mayor, City of Arvin
“TIERS was eye opening for even the experienced people on our team. We learned how to really frame and plan for engagement, and some great new tools for the work. Thank you ILG!“
– Lori Sassoon, Deputy City Manager, Administrative Services, City of Rancho Cucamonga
“Although the County had recently held 66 community workshops, experienced staff still found the TIERS Learning Lab to be educational and enlightening. TIERS is unlike previous public outreach training as it is a system of options and ideas within a process. We are using the information to inform our current public outreach to be more inclusive, include a variety of activities and input methods, and be better advertised.”
- Karen Watkins, Planning Manager, San Bernardino County Land Use Services
“The TIERS structure provided Fallbrook Regional Health District the tools we needed to launch our community engagement activities prior to the selling of the hospital. I was able to be proactive to help us get the word out and be in control of our message. We are looking forward to using this effective structure again as the District anticipates the purchase of land for a Wellness Center, “Health Under One Roof”.”
- Bobbi Palmer, MBA, MSW, Former Executive Director, Fallbrook Regional Health District