Local Champions: Walk Your Talk
Community decision-makers exercise their influence as civic leaders by modeling active behaviors. Here are a few examples.
- Riverside Mayor Ron Loveridge hosts publicized “Walk with the Mayor” throughout the city.
- Healthy Shasta , a county-wide collaborative, offers a wellness challenge to all its members.
- In Nashville, Mayor Karl Dean challenged residents to walk 100 miles, and invited them to either join him on one of 28 scheduled walks or to track their distances online.
- Former San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom signed a Pedestrian Safety executive directive that set targets to reduce pedestrian injuries and fatalities in San Francisco.
- “Healthy RC” encourages a healthy and sustainable lifestyle for residents and visitors to Rancho Cucamonga and was spearheaded out of the City Manager’s office.