TIERS Public Engagement Training
March 23-24, 2023
- Date: Thursday and Friday, March 23-24, 2023
- Location: Virtual via Zoom
- Time: 10am-3pm
- Cost: $625 per person
- Registration is closed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about future training dates
Are you getting the results you want from your public engagement efforts?
Would you like to connect with other local government agencies tackling similar challenges?
You are invited to join the ranks of California local government staff and elected officials trained in TIERS Public Engagement Framework. The two-day TIERS training offered by the Institute for Local Government gives you a step-by-step framework that helps California local governments master the public engagement process and build trust in their communities. TIERS trainings will help you operationalize your outreach and engagement efforts in a more sustainable and collaborative way and provide you with resources and digital tools to authentically engage your community.
This comprehensive training is open to any local government agency in California and can apply to a variety of ongoing public engagement initiatives ranging from housing and sustainability to participatory budgeting and public safety.
TIERS Public Engagement Training Benefits
- Learn how to apply the TIERS public engagement framework to develop an inclusive and community-centered public engagement plan that fits your budget, timelines and public engagement goals.
- Ways to build meaningful and long-lasting relationships with community-based organizations and build trust in your community.
- Learn new strategies and tactics for how to reach and involve traditionally under-engaged residents.
- Learn how to choose digital tools and platforms that work for your process and your community to get the public input that you need.
- Learn how to design engaging, fun and dialogue-focused public workshops.
- Learn how to reframe your public engagement messaging by focusing on community values and the benefits of engagement.
- Learn from other local governments and what worked in their communities.
- Receive a copy of the TIERS Training Digital Workbook.
- Join the TIERS peer learning community through ongoing virtual meet-ups.
- Gain access to ILG “Office Hours” to receive technical assistance to tackle your public engagement challenges.
“The TIERS training was incredibly enlightening and engaging. ILG’s training team not only shared examples of how to design high-energy, productive and dialogue-focused public workshops but demonstrated meeting design techniques in action.”
– David Loya, Community Development Director, City of Arcata
“In addition to the TIERS structure to plan and implement authentic engagement and outreach efforts, we learned a number of public participation tools and techniques to engage those who traditionally don’t participate. Thank you, ILG team.”
– Heidi Vonblum, Director of the Planning Department, City of San Diego
“The TIERS training was incredibly motivating for our team and we were able to immediately put what we learned about the TIERS process to work on our current projects. We left with best practices and a clear process we can follow.”
– Jose Gurrola, Former Mayor, City of Arvin
“TIERS was eye opening for even the experienced people on our team. We learned how to really frame and plan for engagement, and some great new tools for the work. Thank you ILG!“
– Lori Sassoon, City Manager, City of Norco
“Although the County had recently held 66 community workshops, experienced staff still found the TIERS Learning Lab to be educational and enlightening. TIERS is unlike previous public outreach training as it is a system of options and ideas within a process. We are using the information to inform our current public outreach to be more inclusive, include a variety of activities and input methods, and be better advertised.”
– Retired Karen Watkins, Planning Manager, San Bernardino County Land Use Services
“The TIERS structure provided Fallbrook Regional Health District the tools we needed to launch our community engagement activities prior to the selling of the hospital. I was able to be proactive to help us get the word out and be in control of our message. We are looking forward to using this effective structure again as the District anticipates the purchase of land for a Wellness Center, “Health Under One Roof”.”
- Bobbi Palmer, MBA, MSW, Former Executive Director, Fallbrook Regional Health District