Step 1: Develop Public Engagement Approach
Choose a mix of in person and online activities
- Consider the timeline, budget, staff time implications (your department and other departments as applicable)
- Who will facilitate events? Who/how will data gathered be input, analyzed and summarized?
- What might go wrong? How might your approach mitigate for challenges?
- TIERS Develop Public Engagement Approach
- TIERS Public Engagement Approach Cheat Sheet
Step 2: Develop Outreach Plan
- Create an Outreach Plan
- Consider what you know from your ‘community landscape’ listing; who you are trying to reach, how much time and money is available
- TIERS Outreach Template
Step 3: ‘Reality Check’
- Are there local, state or federal laws or regulations you need to consider?
- Are there internal organizational ‘politics’ or challenges to take into consideration?
- Are there larger ‘Political’ issues to keep in mind?
- For example: Is there an upcoming election? A significant recent incident?