Children’s Health Insurance Information – Ohio
A PDF of “Ohio: Healthy Start and Healthy Families Program” is available at right under Documents & Resources.
Ohio: Healthy Start and Healthy Families Programs
The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services regulates the Healthy Start program (Ohio’s State Children’s Health Insurance Program) and the Healthy Families program (Ohio’s Medicaid program).
Who Is Eligible?
A summary of eligibility requirements appears below. Be sure to check with the Department of Job and Family Services to verify eligibility.
Healthy Start Program
Eligible individuals include:
- Children younger than age 19 in families with income up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level ($44,100 annually for a family of four in 2009 in Ohio); and
- Pregnant women in families with income up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level ($44,100 annually for a family of four in 2009 in Ohio).
Healthy Families Program
Eligible people include:
- Families with a child younger than age 19; and
- Families with income up to 90 percent of the federal poverty level (19,845 for a family of four in 2009 in Ohio).
- Applicants can access the application online or call (800) 324-8680 for application assistance.
About This Resource
This resource provides information about affordable health insurance options for children of eligible families in Ohio. It is part of the Institute for Local Government’s Healthy Communities – Insuring Kids Health Online Resource Center project.
The Insuring Kids Health Online Resource Center provides information and resources to help California cities and counties connect families with affordable health insurance for their children. The activities and best practices compiled can be applied throughout the country and can assist cities, counties, health plans and others that are interested in enrolling children in affordable health insurance.
The Institute for Local Government is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) research and education affiliate of the California State Association of Counties and the League of California Cities. The Institute for Local Government promotes good government at the local level with practical, impartial and easy-to-use resources for California communities.
The Institute gratefully acknowledges the Anthem Blue Cross Foundation for its generous support of this project.