Children’s Health Insurance Information – Connecticut
A PDF of “Connetticut: Healthcare for Uninsured Kids and Youth (HUSKY)” is available at right under Documents & Resources.
Connecticut: Healthcare for Uninsured Kids and Youth (HUSKY)
The Department of Social Services administers the Medicaid and Healthcare for Uninsured Kids and Youth (HUSKY) programs, as well as a variety of other programs for Connecticut’s low-income families, the elderly and people with disabilities.
Who Is Eligible?
A summary of eligibility requirements appears below. Be sure to check with the Department of Social Services to verify eligibility. Eligible individuals include:
- Children younger than age 19 in households of all incomes may qualify for health coverage through the HUSKY Plan; and
- Depending on income, parents, relative caregivers and pregnant women may also qualify for HUSKY coverage.
- Applicants can call (800) 656-6684 to begin the application by phone with a customer service representative. Hours are Monday – Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m., Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., and Saturday, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Applicants can also get more information and download the application here.
- For more information on the HUSKY program, visit here.
- To find out which health plans serve your area, visit here.
About This Resource
This resource provides information about affordable health insurance options for children of eligible families in Connecticut. It is part of the Institute for Local Government’s Healthy Communities – Insuring Kids Health Online Resource Center project.
The Insuring Kids Health Online Resource Center provides information and resources to help California cities and counties connect families with affordable health insurance for their children. The activities and best practices compiled can be applied throughout the country and can assist cities, counties, health plans and others that are interested in enrolling children in affordable health insurance.
The Institute for Local Government is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) research and education affiliate of the California State Association of Counties and the League of California Cities. The Institute for Local Government promotes good government at the local level with practical, impartial and easy-to-use resources for California communities.
The Institute gratefully acknowledges the Anthem Blue Cross Foundation for its generous support of this project.