BOOST Participant–City of Needles
Located in Eastern San Bernardino County, Needles is a remote, rural community that is home to the Fort Mojave Indian Reservation. The city is notorious for extreme summertime temperatures exceeding 120 degrees and severe drought conditions. Through the BOOST Program, the city hopes to find opportunities to upgrade its infrastructure, address water insecurity and explore clean energy initiatives.
- Population: 4,974
- Location: San Bernardino County
- Area: 30.81 square miles
- Poverty rate: 25.91%
- Median household income: $50,274
- Support the City of Needles in identifying funding opportunities and provide grant writing support with a specific focus on parks, community resource centers, active transportation projects and water infrastructure
- Provide trainings and technical assistance to support the city in developing its Environmental Justice Element and Safety Elements
- Provide research, grant support and partnership development that focus on renewable energy projects and housing development
- Provide training opportunities and consultation to build knowledge and capacity building for public engagement, project management, grant implementation and grant reporting
- Develop and implement a communications plan that seeks to showcase the opportunities and achievements in the City of Needles.