City of Riverside Youth Council Activities
RYC is currently a twenty-eight member council composed of diverse student representatives from the ten high schools in the City of Riverside. The youth council is organized into three major committees:
- Special Projects & Events:aims to increase youth involvement throughout the community;
- Youth Civic Engagement: works to promote opportunities for young people to work with city leaders, network with one another, and create a positive perception of young people in the community; and
- Public Relations Committee: aims to improve the visibility of the council and its many services.
The Riverside Youth Council’s priorities and goals include:
- Increase youth civic engagement and mobilize more young people by increasing collaboration among student campus organizations.
- Organize and participate in special projects, events, and leadership opportunities.
- Augment RYC public relations efforts as a means to keep young people informed and civically connected.
- Support the success of the Riverside Youth Court as a juvenile crime diversion and prevention program through accountability and education.
Current Focus of Activities:
The Riverside Youth Council has been able to accomplish its many and expansive goals through the diligent work of three committees.
Youth Civic Engagement Committee-
- Establish working relationships and collaborations with student organizations and community groups.
- Promote service and volunteerism through the Season of Service campaign featuring Service Saturdays. Last year, 1768.5 hours of service were logged. This year over 3000 hours of service are expected to be logged.
- Engage in participatory governance through Youth Liaisons to City Boards & Commissions. RYC has placed youth to represent the Riverside Youth Council on 5 City Boards & Commissions.
- RYC hosted the first ever Riverside Youth Leadership Summit on March 20, 2010. Bringing together student leaders from across Riverside, the Summit helped equip Riverside youth with the tools they need to be positive contributors in the community and become strategic partners in Riverside’s future.
Special Projects & Events Committee-
- Continue collaborations and coordination of events like Festa Italiana, MLK Walk-A-Thon & Rock-A-Thon, and the Earth Day Festival.
- Organize the successful launch and culminating events for the Season of Service, as a Global Youth Service Day and Youth Service America lead agency.
- Organize the Riverside’s 25 Most Remarkable Teens event and reception recognizing the positive contributions and outstanding accomplishments of young people in the city.
Public Relations Committee-
- Created the RYC “Friends Network” and are staying connected through monthly newsletters. Network mailing list includes over 800 student contacts. Newsletters provide college preparation information, information about major city/school district events, service opportunities, and much more.
- Continue to oversee the Inspiring Youth of the Month presentations to the Riverside City Council.
- Increased Teen Scene Riverside video productions on channel 3, the City of Riverside’s government public access channel.
One of the key things that has helped move the work of the Riverside Youth Council forward is the expansion of leadership and officer roles within the council. The council’s organizational structure includes:
- Youth Civic Engagement Committee Chair
- 5 Youth Liaisons to Boards and Commissions
- Special Projects & Events Committee Chair
- Community Services Officer
- Concerts and Entertainment Officer
- Public Relations Committee Chair
- Film and Productions Officer
- Website Officer
- Social Networking Officer
With a 28-member council, this organizational structure has
helped build leadership among students and increase
responsibility and accountability. It has also worked to build
students’ confidence and ownership of RYC’s efforts.
For more information about the Riverside Youth Council, please visit:
www.RiversideYouthCouncil.com. You can also become a Fan of the Riverside Youth Council on Facebook. Search: Riverside Youth Council.