BOOST Participant–City of Barstow
The City of Barstow is a small, rural community located in the Inland Empire Region. With two interstates and two highways all converging in Barstow, the city is a major transportation corridor with more than 60 million people in 19 million vehicles traveling through Barstow each year. Through BOOST, the city is interested in building staff capacity to apply for grants more successfully, develop and implement urban greening, clean energy, and economic development projects and more effectively engage their community.
- Population: 23,915 (2010)
- Location: San Bernardino County
- Area: 41.33 square miles
- Poverty rate: 35.35%
- Median household income: $40,633
- Language other than English spoken at home: Spanish
- Support for identifying grant funding opportunities and partnership development focused on downtown revitalization efforts, climate action/resilience planning and alternative transportation, electrification and green infrastructure projects
- Provide training opportunities and support for staff in the areas of Planning and Public Engagement
- Provide guidance, consultation and support for the city’s adopted VMT Plan
- Provide review and technical assistance to ensure that the city’s Environmental Justice and Safety Elements are compliant with AB747 and SB99.
- Provide communications, outreach and engagement support to help educate community about the importance of climate action and resilience