Land Use & Community Design
Well-planned communities with a balance of housing, jobs, shopping, schools and recreation give people the option of walking, biking, or using transit rather than driving. This results in lower greenhouse gas emissions and also promotes physical activity and more vibrant, healthy and sustainable communities.
Land Use & Community Design Goals
- Create communities and neighborhoods that are attractive, safe and convenient for walkers and bicyclists.
- Orient new development to capitalize on transit system investments and services.
- Adopt policies that promote compact and efficient development in new and existing communities.
- Incorporate greenhouse gas emissions considerations into the General Plan and environmental review process.
- Establish planning processes that encourage reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Increase transportation choices.