Land Use and Community Design Examples
For related information:
- See ILG Best Practices for Land Use & Community Design
- See Climate Action Resources for local agencies
- See the ILG’s Land Use & Environment program
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Examples and case stories in this section:
- Sustainability’s Many Faces: Beacon Award Program Participants Create Vibrant Communities
- Built to Last: Charting a Path to a Sustainable Economy
- City of Windsor – planning and zoning for compact neighborhoods and a transit-oriented town center.
- City of Vista - planning for new residents and businesses in a transit-oriented and pedestrian-friendly downtown.
- City of San Diego – creating a walkable and bikeable “city of villages” linked by transit.
- County of Sacramento – updating the general plan to revitalize commercial corridors and promote infill development near transit.
- City of Riverside – connecting the community with a citywide bicycle master plan.
- City of Petaluma – a comprehensive approach to climate change through the general plan.
- City of Livermore - fostering innovative community development and design through “smart” zoning.
- City of Fremont - planning compact and efficient infill linked to regional rail transit.
- City of Chula Vista - a comprehensive approach to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from new development.
- City of Hercules - a temporary town center to revitalize a community.
- City of Chico - making walking and cycling safer downtown.
- City of Richmond plans for a more healthy future.