Waste Reduction & Recycling
The largest sources of human-generated methane, a potent greenhouse gas, comes from improperly managed landfills. Thus, waste reduction and recycling activities reduce the potential to generate methane at landfills, as well as reducing pollutants generated from transporting waste to disposal sites. Waste reduction and recycling activities also conserve natural resources.
Waste Reduction & Recycling Goals
- Enhance existing waste reduction and recycling activities at agency buildings and in the community.
- Implement source reduction, recycling and resource recovery programs for waste organic material. Produce compost, mulch, energy and fuels from organic waste stream.
- Reduce office and commercial waste and increase recycling.
- Source reduction, recycling and resource recovery programs for construction and demolition material.
- Decrease carbon footprint of jurisdiction’s waste and recycling collection system.