Key Steps in Creating a Partnership or Collaboration
Partnering with other organizations or agencies is essential to maximize your efforts at enrolling children in no- or low-cost health insurance or for any other joint efforts. Thinking of the relationship as a partnership rather than a contract will enhance the success of the effort. The following steps will help create a successful endeavor.
Start the process.
- Identify the agencies and organizations, including schools, which serve the population you want to engage.
- Talk with the leadership of those organizations about what you are intending to do.
- Identify how the effort will support the work they are already doing.
- Develop a planning team with staff and/or leadership from each of the organizations/agencies willing to participate.
Design the effort.
- Establish a common understanding of the goals you are trying to achieve.
- Give each agency/organization roles and responsibilities that are aligned with their interests and capacity.
- Develop a clear timeline for the overall effort and for each individual component or event.
- Design a means of data collection so that you can show the results of your efforts.
Implement the plan.
- Conduct a collective review of the plan prior to each event to be certain that participants understand their role and responsibilities.
- Hold a post-event review to see what needs to be changed for future events.
- Periodically review the overall plan to keep the effort on target.
- Make changes to the plan when necessary but make sure that all of the partnering organizations are clear about why the changes are needed.
- Create periodic reports of the effort and results to leadership at all of the partnering organizations.
- Celebrate your successes together and thank the people who were involved.