Elements of Success: Joint-Use Partnerships
Successful joint-use partnerships tend to be those with:
- Support from policymakers and the community;
- Clearly articulated goals;
- Careful planning, including financial and operational responsibilities;
- Ongoing communication with and input from the community;
- A process for resolving conflicts that may arise; and
- A long-term commitment.
Careful attention to legal issues and consultation with agency counsel is vital. Legal issues that may need to be addressed include restrictions on the scope of participating agency authority, contracting procedures (including bidding rules), funding restrictions, accounting procedures, open meetings requirements, conflict of interest rules, debt rules, personnel rules and regulations, and environmental review requirements.