Public Engagement Publications & Resources
The Public Engagement program is developing a catalogue of publications to help local officials more effectively apply public engagement (or “collaborative governance”) processes and strategies. This includes detailed guides as well as shorter pieces that hit the main points of a topic.
Current Guides Available:
- A Local Official’s Guide to Public Engagement in Budgeting The Guide draws on examples of public engagement in city and county budgeting throughout California and describes six general approaches that local agencies use, often in strategic combination, to involve residents in the budget process.
- A Local Official’s Guide to Immigrant Civic Engagement. The Guide is designed to help local officials and staff design and implement inclusive civic participation processes that recognize, inform and engage their community’s immigrant residents and their families.
- How to Harness the Power of Your Community to Address Climate Change. Suggestions, examples, and resources for local officials to involve residents and businesses to address climate change. (Prepared in collaboration with the Institute’s California Climate Action Network.)
Current Shorter Pieces Available:
- Principals of Local Government Public Engagement – ten principles to serve as helpful indicators of effective and ethical public engagement practice by local governments.
- Planning Public Involvement: Key Questions for Local Officials – A quick overview of important points that can make or break effective civic engagement.
- Beyond the Usuals: Ideas To Encourage Broader Public Participation In Your Community – An overview of ideas that can assist in making civic engagement efforts more inclusive and representative of your community.
- Ten Ideas to Encourage Immigrant Engagement – A quick overview of ideas from throughout California that may help local officials to more successfully engage immigrant residents.
- Youth Commissions List – List of local government youth commissions and related youth engagement organizations in California
- Resource List of Citizen and Police Academies in California – A resource list of citizen, police and other leadership academies in California.
- Collaborative Governance Resources – A list of organizations in California and nationally that offer public involvement-related information, materials and/or direct assistance.
- Working Effectively with Local Officials – Here are practical strategies for working successfully with local elected officials and staff.
- Preparing for Public Hearings – A short description of public hearings and ways to make participation more effective.