Website User’s Guide
- ILG’s progam areas are Under Researching an Issue?
- New to Local Public Service? contains the basics (nuts and bolts) of local government.
- Publications area includes current publications and logo items.
- “About ILG” includes information about ILG’s staff, board, contact information, governance, history, donors and ways to support ILG.
Navigating the Website. Moving through the site is as simple as clicking from area to area and using the “Back” button to return to where you were.
Note that this won’t work when you click on a link in a story or an item in related “Documents & Resources” that points to another website. In that case, the external website opens a new tab in the browser and the “Back” button stops working. You can go back to where you were by closing the new tab or clicking on the old one.
Finding What You Are Looking For. Search key words using the Site Search window in the upper right corner of the website.
Also try the “Categories A-Z” link at the top of the page. It takes you to an alphabetical list of key words or “tags” with the number of related stories or resources indicated in parentheses.
As you click through the website, always check for content on the right hand side of the page. Many stories have related content listed in a “Documents & Resources” area to the right of the text. If you find a story about a report, but you don’t see the report, look in Documents & Resources. Also check the right side of the page for “Related Resources.” You might find helpful information there as well.
Creating an Account. Creating an account lets you take advantage of the website’s interactive features. These include the ability to post comments in discussion forums, post comments on publications or cast a vote on how useful a publication was to you. You don’t need to create an account to read stories or download resources.
- To create an account, just go to www.ca-ilg.org/user/register. You can also go to the Home page and click on the link “Create New Account.”
- At the prompt, type in the User Name you will use when you log in.
- Next, type in the e-mail address you want to use to receive your password.
- Enter your first name, last name, title, and agency or organization.
- When you have entered the information, click on the button “Create new account.”
- After clicking the button, you will soon receive an e-mail giving you a one-time only password and instructions for creating your own permanent password.
- Once you create your new password, you can use it to log in whenever you visit the website.
Tip: if you don’t receive the e-mail in five minutes, re-enter your information and double check to make sure the e-mail address is correct.
Your user name will be displayed with any comments or forum posts you submit. Registered users who are logged in will be able to see your name, title, and agency by clicking on your user name. Your e-mail address will never be displayed publicly.
Registered users can submit community stories and comment on resources they find on the site. See Creating a New Account»
Click on the comment link on the right side of the screen or at the end of a story. Enter the subject of the comment, type the comment and click “Save.”